(With apologies to both Brian Behlendorf and Mr. Bad for the title.)
In 2007, I decided on a lark to get ncsa-httpd working on (at the time) modern Linux/GCC. It only took a handful of changes, and I packaged it up as an (unpublished) Debian package, ignoring modern FHS requirements and continuing to put everything under
/usr/local/etc/httpd/, as it was in the 90s.
This evening, my IRC friend Screwtape posted a link he found about building a new Gopher search engine using 1990s technology, and that got me thinking about ncsa-httpd again. I went back to my project from 2007 and discovered it was no longer buildable on GCC 5, and with help from Screwtape, I got it building again.
HTTP/1.0 200 Document follows Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 05:56:08 GMT Server: NCSA/1.5.2 Content-type: text/html
After that, I continued on, finding a few bugs in the source code, fixing them, finding a few more, etc. After a few hours I stopped and realized what I was doing, and threw those patches out. I was literally reinventing the Apache project, 22 years too late.
Oh, and it should go without saying, do not use this in a production environment, on anything accessible from the Internet, etc. We’re talking about code which has been unmaintained for over 20 years, and has many known vulnerabilities.